Install a Programmable Thermostat
Programmable thermostats help you save money by automatically turning down your heat while you are asleep or away. You don’t have to remember to adjust your thermostat each day. You can save up to 10% on your yearly heating costs by turning down night temperatures by 7 to 10 degrees, and still wake up to a warm house!
Did you know:
- You can save up to 10% on your utility bill by turning down your thermostat by 7-10° F for 8 hours a day.
- Programmable thermostats are able to store multiple daily settings and can even accommodate special weekend settings.
- Do not use programmable thermostats if you are heating your home with a heat pump.
- Programmable thermostats can be manually over-ridden.
What to do:
- Install a programmable thermostat.
- A programmable thermostat is a project you can do yourself, but many people will want to hire an electrician or heating and plumbing contractor.
- Follow the instructions for programming your thermostat.
- When you’re sleeping or away at work, set your thermostat to 62° F or lower to see a significant reduction in your utility bills.