Insulate Your Hot Water Tank
Did you know that around 12% of hot water heat is lost while it sits in your tank waiting to be used? Your hot water tank is keeping water hot 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and during all that time heat is leaking from your tank. If your water heater is warm to the touch it is wasting power. You can minimize this loss and reduce your energy bills by insulating your tank with an insulation jacket.
Did you know:
- Up to 12 percent of the energy used to heat your water is lost while sitting around waiting to be used.
- Specially made insulation is available at your hardware store to insulate your hot water heater.
- These insulation blankets are inexpensive and easy to install.
What to do:
- Buy a water heater insulation blanket.
- Follow instructions for installation. Some tips to keep in mind:
- On gas hot water heaters, do not put insulation on the top of the tank (hot exhaust from the vent may pose a fire hazard near insulation.)
- Insulate the top 6 feet of the water tank and keep insulation clear of the bottom of the tank near the pilot light opening.
- Be sure to fix all leaking faucets to eliminate losing hot water down the drain.